Thursday, December 18, 2008

Ring #4 - Stock

For my stock ring, I started off with a piece of sterling silver square wire that I think is 14 gauge. First I rolled the stock and then hammered it to create a simple band ring. Then I used the leftover stock I sawed off from the piece I made the band ring out of and rolled it to get it much thinner. After rolling it, I hammered it to distort the metal and get the edges to curl a little bit. I cut shapes out of the sheet I created and soldered one piece on top of the other, in an attempt to create a circular layered form, similar to the image of the fungus below. After making this part, I soldered it onto the band ring.

As of now, there's solder all over the fungus part of the ring and it looks messy. Once I figure out how to clean this off (the silver is so thin it's close to 26 gauge now), I want to curl the edges up of each little piece of flattened silver that forms the fungus part of the ring.

Thanks to Dillon, I learned how to create a band ring from stock, which I've never worked with before. She taught me how to hammer the metal correctly, which hammers to use, walked me through the band ring making process, and helped me brainstorm to come up with my final form.

Inspiration:






No comments: