Wednesday, December 17, 2008

accidents happen...

When I was making my wire ring the first time around, I was really happy with it. I had laid out wire flat and soldered them together in a sheet and bent them up to fit around the finger. Just as I thought I was done, I decided to anneal it one last time and try to shape the shank a little bit more. As soon as I went to heat it up half of the wires snapped off! They didn't melt, but literally snapped like there were really brittle. Not sure what that's about...maybe someone has some ideas...

But there were a few good things that came out of doing it the second time around. I was able to make the small design changes I wished I had made the first time around, I ended up finding an even better way to construct the ring, and I learned a lot about working with silver since it's a material I'm not really accustomed to working with.

Here are some pictures of my disaster, which of course was at eleven the night before it was due...not good time management. Oh yeah, that was another big thing I learned...for the 50th time. It will stick soon hopefully!




No comments: