Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Cynthia Eid

It was suggested that I look into Cynthia Eid's work since I have a similar aesthetic. She is a very talented jewelry and hollowware designer.

This is part of her artist statement that I really related to:

"The forms in my work have their roots
in my gardens, and meanderings through
the woods and along the water's edge.
The allusions are ambiguous so that each
viewer may relate differently, as
perceptions are filtered through personal
sets of memories and experiences."
-Cynthia Eid





These particular pieces I gravitated to immediately because they remind me of the many images of fungus I've been looking at. For my stock ring, I started with a piece of 12 gauge (I think) sterling silver square wire. I hammered part of it to form a simple band ring. Now I want to hammer the left over stock even thinner and bend it the way the edges of the bowl are bent. Then I want to somehow arrange these pieces so that they look layered like fungus on the top of the ring, but not on the sides because I don't want the flared pieces bumping into the fingers not wearing the ring, if that makes any sense!

1 comment:

Cynthia Eid said...

Hi Katy,
What a kick to see your blog!
I'm glad you like my work---I hope it is helpful.

I suggest that for your rings, you might consider using Argentium Silver, which balls up nice and round, and fuses easily. This way, you can ball the ends first, or after fusing. You could fuse everything together flat, the way you've been doing, but I suggest that you try bending and making each strand, and then fuse it to the next one. This way, you can control the design as you work. If you have an oxy-acetylene torch, it works well to build a ring over a carbon ring rod.

Best of luck!
Cynthia
www.cynthiaeid.com