Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Ring #1 - Sheet







AAR

Sustains:
Overall I think thing ring was successful. The ring is very delicate yet substantial at the same time and I think that appeals to people. This was by far the most in control my piercing has ever been, so I also think that is a positive thing about this piece. I am glad that I pushed myself to work with silver, which is a little intimidating to me, rather than copper.

Improves:
I do think the ring is definitely too flat on the hand. I never even thought to bend the form until it was pointed out to me that this way I could give the ring more dimension. Make it more interesting. Make it come alive. I also was aware of the fact, after I finished the ring that it was uncomfortable on the finger because it is so long. Next time I would actually measure the area on my hand to see what would be comfortable before committing to piercing and eyeballing what looked like it would fit.

What Ifs:
The project could have worked better if I had studied the particular slime mold I chose to replicate a little more. The piece did come out looking a little leaf like, which was not my intention. I think if I had looked at more images of this slime mold and did a lot more sketches I could have come up with something closer to what I originally wanted. I also think making a copper maquette in addition to making a manilla file folder maquette would have been wise. That way I would have solved the problem of the ring not fitting and would have been able to see that the pattern once pierced didn't translate exactly the way it did in the sketch.

No comments: