Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Excited!

I'm wide awake, at 2:30 in the morning the night before my design and production crit. I'm so nervous that I can't sleep.

I am also so excited because an artist that Jan told me to google, Cynthia Eid, commented on one of my posts where I cited her! How cool is that?!?!?!

I'm also very excited because I finally (a month later) got my die form together! It still needs a little bit more finishing, and then it will be ready to turn in! Although this project was extremely challenging for me, I'm glad I stuck with my original idea of using more than 2 pressed pieces to create the form.

I chose to originally press 3 pieces and solder them together to form a seed pod. This came out looking absolutely horrid, so Richard suggested that I try using 4 pieces instead of 3. I ended up soldering the first 2 pressings together at a right angle, and then the second 2. Then I joined these 2 larger pieces. This was much much easier than trying to arrange 3 pieces to fit together. Thanks Richard!

The end result does not read "die form" in my mind, and because of this I think this project was a success and I am proud of it.
I would like to take it further and learn the correct way to clean up the seams and then make this form something other than an object that sits on a table. I don't know what I want it to be yet, but I definitely want to continue with it.

Here is my inspiration for the piece:




Here are some pics of the piece, unfinished:





I am so glad I chose not to make a die form out of 2 pieces. These are my die form samples are I think they are fairly boring and scream "i die formed!"

No comments: