Monday, September 8, 2008

ACC experience

At the American Craft Show in 2008 presented by the American Craft Council the leading artists in this country display work in every possible medium. The show was unbelievable, overwhelming, inspiring, and exciting. There were booths as far as my eyes could see.

As I slowly made my way down each aisle I was overcome by the unfamiliar and new techniques that I could see in some of the pieces, the wide array of designs and the quality of craftsmanship. There was so much to look at. So many pieces were so intriguing that I had to touch at least one work of art at each booth I stopped at.

One jeweler in particular that I liked is Dana Melnick of Dana David. Her pieces are very simple, looking like they are made up mostly of thick gauge wire. I really like the organic feeling of her work and the small bezel set diamonds that seem to float on her pieces.




Some of the most unique furniture I saw was crafted by Gaylen, Null and Null Designers. They create kitchen and bar counters that are gorgeous. When I have a house one day I'd love to own one of these! The tops are shaped like puddles and carved out of either what appears to be stone or wood. The bases, which look to be made from steel, have thin arced legs that mimic the curves in the counter tops.




My favorite artist that I saw was Ed Branson. He creates brightly colored organically shaped vessels out of blown glass. His shapes are very unique and he pays close attention to detail - two qualities I absolutely love about his work. I would love to own one of his Calla or Bulb vases one day.



Overall I loved my first ACC experience. I can't wait for this year!

No comments: