Monday, April 7, 2008

Thinking about Creative Caffeine

While looking for the book Creative Caffeine, I stumbled upon another book similar to it called Creative Sparks by Jim Krause.


There's a page in the book in the beginning that I really like because it reinforces what Jan is always telling us (but that I never seem to want to listen to!). "We must become human satellite dishes...We need to pay attention to what is going on today and what went on yesterday...Be receptive. Be tuned in to what's going on..."

So there are a couple of things that I've been thinking about for my Creative Caffeine exercise. The first one is based off of this page (p. 164) in the book:

I like the idea of coming up with words that have to do with materials and forms that I'm thinking about and then being forced to think about what might be the opposite of those words. I get so set on my ideas and never want to think past them. This might be a good way to start doing that.

Another page that stuck out at me was this one on contour drawing:

It suggests that you draw while looking at the subject, not at the paper. The point of this the book says is to "teach your eye to see and your hand to follow what you are seeing." I like this approach to sketching and figured maybe while sketching some forms that interest me, I'll end up getting another form that is completely different, but just as beautiful.

The one last idea I had that came to me after reading this whole book was to go out into the world and pick up/collect found objects (such as old coins, keys, feathers, pinecones, etc.), photographing them like we've been doing, but then taking it a step further by putting bits and pieces of these objects together in a shadowbox. This will display a piece of each object to form one larger composition. I think this would be beneficial because it will get me to start thinking not only about materials, but about form, texture and the interplay of light with each material/form.

So that might be too many tackle for this one project, but I plan on choosing at least two of these exercises to do to get my mind thinking in terms of materials and form.

No comments: