Monday, April 21, 2008

Creative Caffeine #1

In this creative caffeine exercise, I thought of words that had to do with what I'm thinking about for my materials project (words in the left hand column), and then thought of what could possibly be an opposite for those words (right hand column). This was actually more difficult than I thought it would be.

For my project I'm thinking about using forms that are typically very thin and then using a material than would lend itself to this form. This exercise got me thinking about maybe doing a series for one particular object, using not only a material that could easily be made very thin, but then pushing materials that can't easily be made thin to their limits. The one word in particular that got me thinking about this was using cement because I typically don't think of cement as a material that can be made into a very thin object without cracking.


Thin - Thick
Crepe - Tortilla
Rice paper - Cardboard
Old dry leaves - Live fresh leaves
Wafers - Muffin
Film - Canvas
Capiz shells - Conch shells
Insect wing - Bat's wing
Sea fan (soft coral) - Brain coral (hard coral)
Skin - Bones
Stingray (no bones) - Fish (bones)
Flower petal - Tree branch
Glass - Cement
Finger nails - Claws
Potato chips - Potato wedges
Silk - Corduroy
Tissue paper - Wrapping paper
Egg shells - Coconut shell

No comments: