Sunday, November 23, 2008

Ring Maquettes

For my ring that's going to be made from silver tubing, I was thinking about using the draw plate to help make my tubing more oval-shaped than round. Then I wanted to slice it up thinly and solder the pieces together to mimic the pattern created by one of the slime molds that I saw wrapped around a branch. My idea is for these little silver oval pieces to actually wrap around two fingers creating a double finger ring. I got my inspiration from the red mold below.



This is a maquette I made out of straws worn two different ways:









For my ring that's going to be made out of sheet, I want to pierce out the form that originally got me interested in mold. It is the particular picture of slime mold (blue) below that I tried to replicate when I did my cement, polyurethane and plaster slime mold brooches back in April. I want the actual ring to be pierced a lot more than this, however this was difficult replicate with scissors on paper. I love the way mold grows in an uninhibited way. Nothing can get in it's way and it is quick to branch out in all directions. So I want the mold to be wrapped around the pointer finger and then creeping up the hand.







For my ring that's going to be made out of wire, I want to work with 18 gauge silver wire. I want to cut pieces of different lengths that will wrap around the finger and then flare inwards and outwards to keep the ring attached to the finger. I want to ball up the ends of each piece of wire, put the all together in a bundle, and solder them together where the underside of the ring will be. I got inspired to make this ring by looking at the photo of mold below. I like the way it seems to sprout off of the branches and I want the silver wire to mimic this and look like it is sprouting off of and in between the fingers.








For my ring that's going to be made out of stock, I have been inspired to create something that looks similar to these photos of Jelly Fungus wrapped around a branch. I want to hammer the stock to create a simple band ring that wraps around the finger without connecting and has organic edges and a hammer texture. Around the ring I want to solder pieces of stock that have been hammered into sheets and scrunched up to look like the jelly fungus on this tree.

This image is pretty much what I want my ring to look like:

3 comments:

amyk said...

cool katy!

Jangrrrrl said...

Great work, Katy! All plans make good sense....make them work, don't stop short. You are finding your groove.

susannahnaree said...

your slime mold ring turned out amazing. you should be so proud! =)